Club information
First team

Match reports

City 0 - 3 Helsinki
Helsinki 10 - 0 City
City 3 - 2 Llanelli
Neath 2- 0 City
City 1 - 1 Aber'th
City 4 - 1 Afan Lido
Airbus 2 - 4 City
City 0 - 3 TNS
Carmarthen 1 - 2 City
City 4 - 0 Newtown
Bala 1 - 2 City
City 3 - 1 Port Talbot
Llanelli 2 - 1 City
City 2 - 1 Neath
Aber'th 0 - 2 City
Afan Lido 0 - 0 City
City 2 - 1 Airbus
TNS 3 - 4 City
City 4 - 0 Carmarthen
Newtown 2 - 1 City
City 2 - 4 Llanelli (WC)
City 2 - 1 Bala
Port Talbot 1 - 2 City
City 5 - 3 Prestatyn
Prestatyn 0 - 5 City
City 6 - 1 Cfon Wdrs
City 1 - 2 Wigan
City 2 - 1 Prestatyn
Llanelli 0 - 1 City
Bala 0 - 1 City
City - Newtown (LC)
Newtown 5 - 1 City (LC)
City 1 - 3 Neath
City 1 - 3 TNS
Prestatyn 0 -4 City
City 2 - 2 Llanelli
Supporters' Assoc.
Club shop
Contact us


29 OCTOBER 2011

A ninth red card of the season for Aberystwyth made handed Bangor a man advantage which duly turned into three points on a windswept Park Avenue.  

Kicking off with the wind Aber began with purpose towards the Dias Stand but it was Bangor who fashioned the first opening when Jamie Brewerton's far post headed dropped for goalkeeper Steve Cann from Sion Edwards freekick.  

Aber won a corner but on six minutes they once again pressed the self destruct button - and in some style. Les Davies released Sion Edwards on the left, he found Alan Bull in the box and goalkeeper Cann clearly tripped the City striker. Penalty and yellow card, no big issue there for Huw Jones. Up stepped Chris Jones to slot the kickhome and put City ahead but as he celebrated by the goal Cann hit him with the ball. Second yellow and red, again nothing controversial no matter how dispiriting for the Green & Whites.  

Aneuriin Thomas took up the gloves and defensive midfielder Sion James dropped into defence.

And it worked well for the ten men with the theatrical peroxide Thornton pressing alongside Geoff Kelloway in midfield and troubling Idzi and the blues defence.  Thornton struck the target with a long range freekick but Idzi saved well, then Jordan Follows lashed over from close in on the left after a purposeful run. Thornton then opted to dive when tackled by Neil Thomas on the edge of the box.   Aber forced a couple of corners as the wind acted as an eleventh man, Kelloway fired over, then City countered but Peter Hoy's header was easily held by stand in keeper Thomas,  

On 35 minutes Aber won a penalty of their own. Craig Garside was harshly adjuged to have fouled Jordan Follows as he ran across goal from the  left. The kick was taken by Andy Parkinson but Lee Idzi saved to his right and then blocked a close range follow up from Lewis Codling with a little help from Chris Roberts.  

City might have doubled their lead but Thomas saved well from Chris Jones' side footed effort after Les Davies had headed on. Bangor were now back in contention, with Michael Johnston defending calmly and Les Davies working hard on his birthday. Aber still had a reliable offside trap to frustrate City.  

In the closing minutes Thomas gathered from Alan Bull and cleared from Sion Edwards. Les Davies had his goalbound shot blocked before Michael Johnston was shown the yellow card for timewasting deep into added time.

HALF TIME  0-1  

No changes at the interval other than the change of ends and with it the wind now in Bangor's favour.   Alan Bull broke down the left but his low cross was gathered by Thomas. Then Neil Thomas, who was enjoying his joust with former Sunderland midfielder Thornton, played in Chris Jones but he slashed his shot wide from the right.

Kelloway found space on the left but dragged his low shot into the side netting. Sion Edwards also found space o the left but flashed as cross shot beyond the strikers. By now Bangor were controlling possession and Neil Thomas was next to shoot wide with a powerful left footer.   Aber caused some anxiety when Lee Idzi failed to claim a freekick whihc dropped to McCarten but captain Brewerton blocked bravely and City broke, had the ball in the net, but Alan Bull was offside.

Batley's long throws continued to be a threat and on 57 mins he won a corner which Parksinson - anonymous throughout - centred but McCarten headed wide.  

Then on 59 minutes it was all over. Neil Thomas won a midfield tussle with Thornton, Les Davies collected the ball off Craig Garside and saw his goalbound shot deflect up off Sion James and through stand in keeper Thomas.  Harsh on the big defender without doubt.  

Sion James then injured himself in a brave if foolish challenge on Les Davies on half way. Despite treatment his afternoon was over. Alan Bull fired into the side netting before James needed further treatment.

On 64 minutes Eddie Jebb came on for goalscorer Chris Jones and seconds later Craig Williams replaced James who finally accepted the inevitable.   Alan Bull shot was blocked by long thrower Batley who also fell injured and need treatment. Eddie Jebb crossed the corner which Craig Garside met near post but his side footer flashed side. Jebb then shot well wide from the right before Neil Thomas' rising effort skimmed the bar and crashed into the Dias Stand. Again Eddie Jebb crossed from the right but Craig Garside mishit his shot and Aber survived.  

Kelloway still showed a positive for the depleted Greens but his direct run came to nothing. Then Sion Edwards forced a great save from Thomas with a fierce strike from the edge of the box. This yielded a third Bangor corner but Craig Garside headed wide.

On 82 mins Dave Morley came on for Alan Bull then three minutes later Eddie Jebb shot at Thomas who had sorted out his angles well. Five minutes from time Mike Walsh replaced Craig Garside  As time ran out Thornton and Follows went close for Aber and Neil Thomas and Dave Morley did likewise for City.  

Finally the whistle went on a two nil win for Bangor and another moment's madness from Aberystwyth.

Aberystwyth Town    0    -
Bangor City    2    Chris Jones 5'(p) Les Davies 59'

Aberystwyth Town: Steve Cann, Dave Swanick, Ryan Batley, Aneurin Thomas, Sion James (Craig Williams 65'), James McCarten, Geff Kellaway, Sean Thortnon, Lewis Codling, Jordan Follows, Andy Parkinson
Subs not used: Michael Howard, Kris Nalborski, Jonathan Evans
Red Cards:    Cann 6'
Yellow Cards:    Cann 5' & 6'

Bangor City: Lee Idzi, Peter Hoy, Chris Roberts, James Brewerton, Michael Johnston, Chris Jones (Eddie Jebb 64'), Craig Garside (Michael Walsh 86'), Les Davies, Sion Edwards, Neil Thomas, Alan Bull (Dave Morley 83')
Subs not used: Kyle Wilson, Meilir Huws, Shaun Pejic
Red Cards:    Garside
Yellow Cards:    Brewerton 17' Johnson 45'+2

Attendance:    456    Referee:    Huw Jones

29 October 2011


© 2010 Bangor City F.C.