Club information
First team

Match reports

City 0 - 3 Helsinki
Helsinki 10 - 0 City
City 3 - 2 Llanelli
Neath 2- 0 City
City 1 - 1 Aber'th
City 4 - 1 Afan Lido
Airbus 2 - 4 City
City 0 - 3 TNS
Carmarthen 1 - 2 City
City 4 - 0 Newtown
Bala 1 - 2 City
City 3 - 1 Port Talbot
Llanelli 2 - 1 City
City 2 - 1 Neath
Aber'th 0 - 2 City
Afan Lido 0 - 0 City
City 2 - 1 Airbus
TNS 3 - 4 City
City 4 - 0 Carmarthen
Newtown 2 - 1 City
City 2 - 4 Llanelli (WC)
City 2 - 1 Bala
Port Talbot 1 - 2 City
City 5 - 3 Prestatyn
Prestatyn 0 - 5 City
City 6 - 1 Cfon Wdrs
City 1 - 2 Wigan
City 2 - 1 Prestatyn
Llanelli 0 - 1 City
Bala 0 - 1 City
City - Newtown (LC)
Newtown 5 - 1 City (LC)
City 1 - 3 Neath
City 1 - 3 TNS
Prestatyn 0 -4 City
City 2 - 2 Llanelli
Supporters' Assoc.
Club shop
Contact us


2 JANUARY 2012

This was as emphatic as the scoreline suggests and with better finishing might have been much crueller on the out of sort hosts.  

Bangor gave a debut to Damien Allen who excelled in midfield alongside the towering Dave Morley. Those two naturally were at the centre of everything.  

City forced a couple of early openings with Kyle Wilson crossing but Les Davies headed wide, then Dave Morley drilled a low freekick just wide. In between Sion Edwards did well to race back and tackle Dan Evans as he threatened the blues goal.  

The lead arrived in the eleventh minute. Kyle Wilson's low cross from the left was turned in by Damien Allen from close range, possibly with the aid of a slight deflection, to mark his debut in fine style. 

Four minutes later Bangor doubled their advantage as the impressive and at time unstoppable Sion Edwards crashed home an unstoppable volley from twenty five yards after Les Davies had flicked on.  

City could easily have gone further ahead. Sion Edwards was again tormenting the unfortunate Chris Davies. His cross reached Chris Jones but his efforts scooped over. Then a measured passing move involving Chris Roberts and the selfless Kyle Wilson set up Dave Morley but he lashed over from ten yards. Newcomer Allen was impressing with neat touches and clever passes alongside the shaven headed Morley in the Bangor engine room.  

Prestatyn rallied with a couple of corners but good defending from Peter Hoy and Sion Edwards cleared the initial danger and Lee Idzi pouched Rogers' header. City went close again when Les Davies bulldozed his way through but running left to right he could not unleash a clean shot and Roberts gathered. Then Dave Morley saw his shot hacked off the line before Damien Allen ran on goal but dragged his right footer wide from the left.   Five minutes before the interval Kyle Wilson was yellow carded, he responded with a sliced shot which let the hosts off once more.

But Prestatyn could have halved the deficit in added time when Ross Stephens shot wide from fifteen yards from a Gibson cross. With no further ado referee Whitby blew for half time and the players jogged off for a well earned cuppa.

HALF TIME  1-2  

No changes at the interval but Bangor now attacked the clubhouse end.. Almost immediately Sion Edwards crossed and Kyle Wilson sidefooted goalwards but Roberts saved well.

Eight minutes after the restart it was all over. Again a cross from the left this time found Chris Jones who made time to control and arrow the ball into the roof of the net to the delight of the Bangor fans gathered behind the goal.   Moments later the petulant Parker was carded for some nonesense as Prestatyn realised they were in for more trouble. In nearly came on the hour when Les Davies had a shot blocked then another saved after Chris Jones got the better of Martin Beattie on the Bangor right. In fairness Beattie had looked the pick of a ropey 'Statyn rearguard.   But on 63 minutes it was four nil and just a question of how many.

Les Davies found Kyle Wilson on the left and his calm finish rolled into the net with Roberts exposed and helpless. A fourth Bangor corner of the afternoon followed but Les Davies just missed the target. On 67 mins Alan Bull replaced goalscorer Wilson and Darren Hughes came on for the anonymous Rogers.   Sion Edwards - off Dave Morley - fired over and Les Davies' low shot was gathered by Roberts who was forced into the action on a regular basis.

On 72 mins Jon Fisher Cook replaced Karl Murray and seconds later Mike Parker compounded his unhappy afternoon by lifting over from point blank range.   Ten minutes left and Mark Smyth ran on for Sion Edwards who had been outstanding; rightback Davies might have joined the applause if only out of relief.

On 83 minutes Bangor went five up. A clever passing move on the right set up Mark Smyth who fired home from the edge of the box to round off a great afternoon for the 300+ blues supporters.

Craig Garside came on for new boy Damien Allen who enjoyed a warm ovation and had certainly made a good impression.   Les Davies warmed Roberts' hands once more with a fierce strike which the former blues glovesman pushed twenty foot up in th air, City won a final corner but Roberts booted clear from the edge of his six yard box.

There was still time for the young linesman to advise referee Whitby of some misdemeanour by Dave Hayes who was red carded and trudged off. Ten goals conceded in two games and a red card. Scarcely a merry christmas there.  

The whistle blew and the Bangor players enjoyed the moment as City fans celebrated noisily. Top at Christmas, top at the new year and top for the bizarre month long hibernation imposed on them.

2 January 2012


© 2010 Bangor City F.C.