Club information
First team

Match reports

City 0 - 3 Helsinki
Helsinki 10 - 0 City
City 3 - 2 Llanelli
Neath 2- 0 City
City 1 - 1 Aber'th
City 4 - 1 Afan Lido
Airbus 2 - 4 City
City 0 - 3 TNS
Carmarthen 1 - 2 City
City 4 - 0 Newtown
Bala 1 - 2 City
City 3 - 1 Port Talbot
Llanelli 2 - 1 City
City 2 - 1 Neath
Aber'th 0 - 2 City
Afan Lido 0 - 0 City
City 2 - 1 Airbus
TNS 3 - 4 City
City 4 - 0 Carmarthen
Newtown 2 - 1 City
City 2 - 4 Llanelli (WC)
City 2 - 1 Bala
Port Talbot 1 - 2 City
City 5 - 3 Prestatyn
Prestatyn 0 - 5 City
City 6 - 1 Cfon Wdrs
City 1 - 2 Wigan
City 2 - 1 Prestatyn
Llanelli 0 - 1 City
Bala 0 - 1 City
City - Newtown (LC)
Newtown 5 - 1 City (LC)
City 1 - 3 Neath
City 1 - 3 TNS
Prestatyn 0 -4 City
City 2 - 2 Llanelli
Supporters' Assoc.
Club shop
Contact us


22 OCTOBER 2011

Bangor might have been out of the game at the interval but with typical reslience - and a slice of luck - came back to take the points with a late late winner from Alan Bull.  

The visitors settled quickly - despite the absent-lees - with Paul Fowler catching the eye and Chris Jones causing problems. Fowler went close in the opening minute before Jones set up the truly tiny Kerry Morgan but Lee Idzi did well to push aside his low drive at the foot of the upright. 

On ten minutes Neath forced Bangor to concede a couple of corners before City finally established some kind of parity.   Kyle Wilson set up Dave Morley but referee James failed to see a clear deflection and a corner went begging. Michael Johnston had been a full stretch to keep Neath at bay now moved forwards to unleash a dipping strike which struck Edwards and fooled many of those supporting Bangor into thinking it had dropped into the net. 

A third City corner duly arrived as Nicholas saved from Neil Thomas but the danger was cleared.   After the end to end huffing and puffing it was Neath who went ahead on 27 minutes.  A long goalkick from Kerry Nicholas bounced beyond Jamie Brewerton and leading goalscorer Luke Bowen snuck in to slide home beyond Lee Idzi.

Peter Hoy promptly won a fourth corner as referee James yellow carded Kerry Morgan presumably for dissent. The deep cross evaded Nicholas and Hillier conceded a fifth which came to nothing. On the half hour Chris Roberts sliced well wide right footed.   For no obvious reason Neath now ran riot, Luke Bowen crossed but Craig Hughes headed wide. Next Chris Jones robbed Dave Morley but fired over from outside the box. Seconds later a brilliant save from Lee Idzi denied Craig Hughes whose low left footer skidded goalwards. Michael Johnston caught the madness and back headed towards Idzi but Bowen lobbed high and wide.Peter Hoy knew something and nothing about a deflection which cannoned back to his keeper from at close range.

And then with Neath unlucky not to be three or four goals to the good City edged back into the reckoning.   Kyle Wilson led the charge with a run from the left which Edwards denied with a desperate block. With six minutes remaining Alan Bull slithered, stood up and prodded a low shot from the right through Rees' legs but narrowly wide.

Bull was then carded for a trip on Jack Lewis. From the freekick the ball found Kerry Morgan but his long range shot went wide. Into a minute of added time  Chris Jones raced clear on the right, side footed beyond Idzi, but watched in anguish as hit shot hit the post after the slightest telling deflections off the blues keeper.

Three minutes had gone by when Michael Johnston returned to the action following injury and just about four when Mr James finally - and mysteriously - blew.


Bangor boss Nev Powell responded with a half time change, Eddie Jebb offering a right wing option instead of third midfielder Dave Morley. This set the former Colwyn Bay winger against attack minded Neath leftback Jack Lewis.  

With a low sun blazing over the roof of the Farrar End it was worth testing Nicholas at The St Pauls, and Jebb did just that with a couple of high efforts which clearly troubled the young glovesman. On 51 mins the odious Morgan left the field with Garyn Preen coming on for the little showman whose blatant gamemanship had vexed the mainstand faithful.  

Chris Roberts clattered into Luke Bowen in front of the dugouts and Jones found Rees whose downwards header tested Idzi once more. Eddie Jebb charged in from the right off Les Davies' header but his weak shot did well to earn a corner which, seconds later, Jamie Brewerton headed wide.  

A strong challenge from Jamie Brewerton freed Kyle Wilson, in behind the cumbersome Rees, but his chip cleared the crossbar. Seconds later Wilson cut in from the left but could not quite pick the right pass. Neath broke and Peter Hoy accepted a yellow card for a trip on the marauding Jones five yards short of the City box. The freekick came to nothing.  

On the hour Peter Hoy's long throw was headed out to Eddie Jebb whose volley was turned over by Nicholas for a ninth Bangor corner.  Neath responded with a couple of flag kicks of their own which included a turn and shot from Craig Hughes. A tenth blues corner and then a double substitution with Sion Edwards and Mike Walsh replacing Kyle Wilson and Neil Thomas.

An eleventh corner for City but no real threat. Both subs made a big impact in that closing quarter.   Port Talbot had a defensive freekick but Matthew Rees was shown the yellow card for bad language.  Seconds later the lanky skinhead opted to push Sion Edwards in the face by the touchline and was lucky to escape further censure.

A long freekick from half way delivered by Chris Roberts was headed just over by captain Brewerton who enjoyed a solid second half performance.  

By now Neath looked weary and time wasting crept in, but no goal came. A yellow arrived for Les Davies for just about nothing other than being bigger than his opposite number. Luke Bowen was replaced by Luke Cummings. All this with fifteen mins left.   Peter Hoy sent in a long throw from the right but Jamie Brewerton's long range header flew over. Ten minutes left.  Sion Edwards rounded Cummings but Alan Bull headed wide. Edwards crossed again but no one in a blue shirt could get a vital touch.  

An equaliser duly arrived on 85 minutes.

A period of pressure culminated in Michael Johnston lobbing goalwards from the left and rightback Peter Hoy heading home from close range. Goalkeeper Kerry Nicholas was injured in the melee and had to be replaced by Chris Doran.  

Les Davies went close as City sought the all important winner. Into six added minutes!  Lee Idzi had to be alert to deal with a Neath counter but it was Bangor who posed the threat. On 96 mins the big moment arrived. Peter Hoy's long throw caused chaos in the Neath box, Mike Walsh shot and Alan Bull turned it home from close range.

A roar of celebration and relief erupted from the 550+ City crowd - no sign of any visitors sadly - and seconds later further celebrations at the final whistle.

22 October 2011


© 2010 Bangor City F.C.