The New Saints vs Bangor City
6 0

More Information

Match Date: Saturday, 16 March 2013
Match Time: 14:00

Starting line up




            Time Event
            84 Yellow card Yellow card - Chris Thomas
            84 Yellow card Yellow card - Robbie Booth
            10 Yellow card Yellow card - Les Davies


            Bangor crashed to a 6-0 defeat at Park Hall as the home side may full use of the width of their oft talked about artificial surface to dominate pretty much from start to finish.

            The bad news began before kick off when captain Jamie Brewerton went down clutching his knee and had to be replaced in the starting line by Levi Mackin with the versatile Ryan Edwards slotting in at right back.

            And for the opening twenty minutes it worked well enough. Attacking the carpark end Bangor gave as good as they got with Kris Thomas sending a twenty yarder arching wide before former Neath wide man Chris Jones fired over for the Saints.

            On ten minutes referee Bryn Markham Jones made it plain he would stand for no nonesense with yellow cards for Les Davies and then Phil Baker for heavy challenges. Soon after City forced a couple of corners with Chris Jones seeing his shot deflected over before Paul Harrison responded to some unkind comments from the travelling contingent with a calm claim of the second kick.

            Twenty minutes in and Bangor had shaded the play. A deep freekick brought a header from Les Davies but it lacked the power or direction to beat Harrison. The first real alarm came minutes later when Aeron Edwards, once of Caersws, shot goalwards and Lee Idzi did well to beat the effort away.

            Alarm turned to actual harm on 27 mins though when Michael Wilde collected Edwards' pass to drive beyond Lee Idzi from ten yards out. Five minutes later the home side's Chris Jones passed out to the right for Michael Wilde to double the score with a curling right footer which left Idzi well beaten.  And to some degree City were beaten in that moment too.

            With thoughts turning to switching ends The Saints clinched the victory with a chip from Alex Darlington which dropped into the empty net and left the blue shirted visitors heavy legged as they trudged off.

            HALF TIME  1-0

            No changes at the interval with City now attacking the new stand end.

            Bangor were now attacking the end where a green stand grew on the hill once invaded by the City clan two years earlier.

            But it was soon business as usual as the spring heeled Alex Darington made it 4-0 on 54 minutes with a close range finish from a pacey break.  Cty tried to respond and won a corner which ended in a half chance for Ryan Edwards on the edge of the box but he lofted well over.

            But it only served to delay the inevitable as Alex Darlington crashed home a fifth to clinch his own hatrick and matchball prize with a clean strike into the top corner.

            City responded with a triple substitution on 62 minutes.  Peter Hoy, Robbie Booth and gary O'Toole came on for Levi Mackin, Sion Edwards and Chris Simm respectively. Now whether it was coincidence or not the floodgates did not open and the only goal conceded during the final half hour was a penalty. Certainly Peter Hoy stood firm at right back to win some tackles and headers whilst the energetic Edwards seemed more comfortable in midfield. It may of course have been a case of the home side rightly thinking it was already a job done. Perhaps a bit of both.

            Bangor kept trying to push forward and on one such occasion Chris Jones ran into the box, was stopped by Kai Edwards who saw the ball run to Peter Hoy but he fired across goal from the right.

            On 81 mins former Rhyl striker Matty Williams replaced Scott Ruscoe and five minutes after his introduction the home side won a penalty for a grip on Wilde by Kris Thomas which Matty Williams duly converted to complete the scoring. Bangor had one half chance in added time when the ball ran out to Ryan Edwards but he fired off target. There was a final corner won by Peter Hoy which dropped to Les Davies but his close range shot was blocked. The whistle blew and although it was the Bangor fans who sang loudest it was the TNS players who wore the bigger smiles. 

            One final observation, I thought Referee Markham Jones did okay and few Bangor fans could have pointed fingers at him to excuse this heavy defeat. Reports were filtering through that captain Brewerton had suffered a dislocated knee..

            We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

            I accept cookies from this site.

            EU Cookie Directive Module Information