Port Talbot vs Bangor City
1 1

More Information

Match Date: Saturday, 16 February 2013
Match Time: 15:00
Attendances : 184

Starting line up




            Time Event
            90 Yellow card Yellow card - Les Davies
            66 Yellow card Yellow card - James Brewerton
            62 Yellow card Yellow card - David Morley
            57 Yellow card Yellow card - Chris Roberts
            56 Goal Goal - Chris Simm
            36 Yellow card Yellow card - Robbie Booth
            30 Goal Goal (Bloom) - Port
            24 Yellow card Yellow card - Chris Thomas


            Trailing one nil at the interval Bangor responded in the second half thanks to another goal from leading scorer Chris Simm.

            With concerns over a winless spell blues boss Nev Powell opted for a 4-3-3 formation which saw Dave Morley, Levi Mackin and Ryan Edwards start in midfield. There was also a debut at rightback for Kris Thomas.

            Bangor dominated the opening stages with Dave Morley blazing over from six yards in the first minute before Les Davies shot on target from distance but scarcely troubled the podgy Steven Hall.  Leading scorer Chris Simm saw his header saved and moments later Les Davies miskicked when well placed. All inside four minutes. City could have been 2-0.

            However they weren't and Port Talbot rallied with Ashley Evans getting stuck into the midfield battle. Lee Idzi was called into action as he saved from Chad Bond who then saw his shot blocked by Jamie Brewerton who gave a captains performance. On twenty mins Dave Morley headed over before Referee Markham Jones dismissed penalty claims as Bangor attacked.

            On 23 mins the first yellow of the afternoon when Kris Thomas felled Lewis Harling. Minutes later Port Talbot broke on their left but David Brooks fired wide. Two mins after the booking David Brooks ran through but Lee Idzi saved well. Bangor worked an opening for Robbie Booth but Hall saved his shot from the edge of the box.

            On 32 mins it was the home side who went ahead as David Brooks cut in from the left and saw his low cross variously deflected goalwards by James Bloom and then scrambled over the line by Martin Rose. On the balance of play as the half moved on 'Talbot deserved a goal.

            Bangor went close when Les Davies headed on to Chris Simm but he dragged his low shot wide. Two more cards shown by Mr Jones before the interval to Robbie Booth for a sliding challenge and Ashley Evans for a challenge on Dave Morley. Into the two minutes of added time and it took a great saved by Lee Idzi to kick away a low shot from Lewis Harling who threatened for the home side.

            Half time one nil to Port Talbot but all to play for..

            HALF TIME  1-0

            Two changes at the interval! Damien Allen and Sion Edwards on for Levi Mackin and Robbie Booth,

            Both were quickly into the action with Allen in particular a contender for man of the match for City at any rate. Brooks went close for Port Talbot before Les Davies shot wide from the right. Martin Rose charged past Jamie Brewerton but Chris Roberts stepped in with a well timed challenge.

            On 51 mins Chad Bond might have done better but he hesitated in the box and Michael Johnston cleared. Four mins later a Bangor freekick was driven goalwards by Damien Allen but Hall saved. He didnt save two minutes later though as Allen crossed from the left for Chris Simm to chest down and place the ball beyond Hall for a deserved equaliser and his nineteenth WP goal of the season.

            On the hour Dave Morley was carded for a foul on James Bloom as the wretched corrugated pitch got the better of both teams. Wise comments from the men on the S4C mike that Bangor should play more football would do well to turn up an hour before kick off with a heavy roller. Chris Roberts was also carded for a trip on Chad Bond.

            Lee John then came on for Bond before a Port Talbot corner saw pressure mount on the Bangor goal with Brewerton an co at full stretch to keep the scores level. With seventeen mins to go a classic Sion Edwards cross was headed over by Les Davies. Both goalkeeper sliced clearances as the pitch became increasinly unpredictable.

            With ten mins on the clock Dave Morley saw his clean strike held by the podgy custodian who began to look rattled. With nine to go Gary O'Toole came on for Chris Simm and within seconds produced a superb save from Hall with a close range flick. Not so rattled after all...

            With two mins left Gary O'Toole had the ball in the net but a linesman flag signalled offside and cut short the Bangor celebrations. TNS at Nantporth revisited. And that was about it, three added minutes passed without too much incident and FiFA referee Jones blew for time and both managers contemplated a point and what might have been.

            Final score one all.

            Report by Mike Smith

            We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

            I accept cookies from this site.

            EU Cookie Directive Module Information