Bangor City vs Airbus UK Broughton
2 0

More Information

Match Date: Friday, 08 March 2013
Match Time: 19:30
Attendances : 591

Starting line up




            Time Event
            90 Goal Goal - Robbie Booth
            87 Goal Goal - Gary O'Toole
            38 Yellow card Yellow card - Chris Thomas


            A rainsoaked evening at Nantporth but the 600 strong crowd went home happy after a late late show from Bangor and fittingly it was too subs who grabbed the headlines!

            With Michael Johnston still nursing a sore head and Dave Morley a damaged hamstring City introduced Kris Thomas as Jamie Brewerton's central defensive partner. They were superb and the long distance defender can be more than pleased with his showing alongside Bangor's no nonesense captain.

            The visitors though nearly snatched an early opportunity when Lee Idzi had to deal with an underhit backpass but he did so calmly and the chance disappeared. Bangor forged their first opening on four minutes when Sion Edwards and Les Davies combined down the left to set up Chris Jones but he fired over left footed at the Antelope End.

            Leading goalscorer and Airbus destroyer Chris Simm went close twice in quick succession, once as Jamie Stephens dived at his feet and then a low drive from the left which the Liverpool loanee held low at his near post. Moments later Glenn Rule's low twenty yard effort was saved by Lee Idzi.

            Midway through the half Chris Simm turned Ian Kearney on the right and the big stopper responded by shoving him into the barrier. A yellow card was perhaps the right call by Lee Evans but it wa dangerous play. This yielded a freekick which was pushed out for a corner on the left. Goalkeeper Stephens struck Les Davies in the face and was rightly yellow carded. From the resulting corner delivered by Damien Allen blues wideman Chris Jones flicked wide.

            Airbus responded with a pacey move which saw Chris Budrys set up Wayne Riley but once more Lee Idzi was on hand to save.

            Seven minutes from half time Kris Thomas was yellow carded for a slide on midfielder Rule and as time ran out Les Davies and Chris Simm could not quite make the most of half chances and the scoreline was blank as Lee Evans whistled for a welcome warm break on a wet misty evening.

            HALF TIME  0-0

            No changes at the interval.

            The opening quarter of the second period showed little of the drama to come. Airbus did force one clean chance as Wayne Riley shot on target but Jamie Brewerton blasted clear. On the hour Jordan Johnson fired well over.

            Midway through the half Sion Edwards passed to Les Davies but his fierce drive sped just wide of the righthand upright. Airbus leftback Sam Hart made a penetrating run into the box but Lee Idzi saved comfortably. Neither side could really get up a head of steam and the game seemed to be drifting towards a largley unwanted draw.

            Sensing this perhaps - and realising it was no use - Airbus boss Andy Preece sent on Jason Jarrett and Mike Hayes for Glenn Rule and Jordan Johnson. Four minutes later City responded by sending on Robbie Booth and Levi Mackin for Sion Edwards and Damien Allen who has both worked hard from start to finish. It seemed to inspire Bangor as Les Davies fed midfield dynamo Ryan Edwards but he fired narrowly wide.

            Then the big moment. Chris Jones broke down the right but was flattened by a wild challenge from Tom Field who clearly has a short fuse. This happened below the mainstand and provoked a noisy response from the home crowd. Referee Evans opted for the red card - it was a bad challenge in all honesty - and Field responded with an ill advised show of aggression with involved physically confronting the referee nose to nose. Another red was shown to Field. Angry Airbus officials dragged their player away and after a melee of sorts play got underway, with Airbus quickly replacing winger Ryan Wade with defender Mike Roddy.

            Substitute Hayes was then shown a yellow card for a late challenge and with four minutes left and the scoreline blank Bangor sent on Gary O'Toole for the hobbling Chris Jones. With his first touch Gary O'Toole heads Chris Roberts freekick straight into the visitors net for a one nil lead.

            Moments later O'Toole went close to a second but Stephens saved well. Could Bangor hold on? Would nerves creep in? No! On ninety minutes Chris Simm's overhit cross from the left drifts out to another sub Robbie Booth on the left edge of the box. He cut inside past Lee Owens and sent a curling right footer beyond defender and goalkeeper for a conclusive 2-0 advantage. The roar was as much relief and celebration.

            And although there was added time it added up to nothing as Airbus barely threatened and the hugely impressive defensive pair of Kris Thomas and Jamie Brewerton stood firm and the final whistle blew to confirm another win over Airbus and three important points gained.

            Mike Smith

            We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

            I accept cookies from this site.

            EU Cookie Directive Module Information