Bangor City vs Carmarthen Town
2 0

More Information

Match Date: Saturday, 13 April 2013
Match Time: 14:00
Attendances : 472

Starting line up




            Time Event
            90 Goal Goal - Sion Edwards
            37 Yellow card Yellow card - Damien Allen
            24 Yellow card Yellow card - Michael Johnston
            13 Goal Goal - Chris Simm


            A third straight win - two in the league - and a third clean sheet into the bargain as City's positive end to the season continued at Nantporth.


            The visitors fashioned an early opening when Corey Thomas freed fellow speed merchant Geoff Kellaway and the former Aberstwyth winger cut inside but fired wide of the far post. Carmarthen won what proved to be the first of just two corners won all afternoon on nine minutes but to no avail.


            This stung City into life and to good effect.  Big Les Davies flicked on to right winger Chris Jones who slid the ball into the path of Chris Simm whose clean strike beat Stephen Cann into the net for a 13th minute lead.


            It could have been two nil moments later when a Bangor corner found Les Davies. He headed on to Chris Simm but this time the former Chester marksman missed the target. But Mark Aizlewood's side were far from beaten and a run from Liam McCreesh led to an inviting pass for Geoff Kellaway but he missed the proverbial open goal. With 24 minutes gone Michael Johnston was shown the yellow card for a foul.


            Bangor enjoyed the better of the first period, forcing six corners and testing goalkeeper Cann, but unhappily pehaps not enough to extend their lead despite forcing the pace.


            On the half hour Dave Morley chased down the right and crossed into the box but Peter Hoy headed wide.


            With the first half drifting into added time Chris Simm unhinged the Town defence to set up Les Davies in front of goal but he could not apply the finishing touch and Craig Hanford cleared. Moments earlier Peter Hoy again went close for Bangor.


            So Bangor took a one goal lead in at the interval with all still to play for.


            HALF TIME  1-0


            No changes at the interval.


            For all their endeavour the Old Golds' first shot on target of the afternoon did not arrive until Lee Idzi saved comfortably enough from Luke Cummings some twenty minutes after the restart.


            Carmarthen fashioned an opening when Corey Thomas charged forward from midfield and fired on target but Lee Idzi saved well but only as far as Kellaway although his low cross came to nothing. On 69 minutes a first change for Bangor as Sion Edwards replaced Chris Jones. Certainly the left footer made his presence felt as the final twenty minutes was played out.


            City had two loud penalty appeals waved away by Lee Evans the more blatant a clear shirt pull by Nicky Palmer on Damien Allen well inside the visitors box midway through the second half.


            With just over ten minutes left Levi Mackin came on for Peter Hoy.


            As time ran out tempers frayed with Hicks and Cummings both shown the yellow card by referee Lee Evans. Sion Edwards fired wide for City with around ten minutes left. With thirteen minutes left the lanky Christian Doidge came on for veteran defender Ian Hillier as Carmarthen pushed for an equaliser.


            And that extra entreprise proved costly as City snatched another goal late on to send the blues support home happy.


            With the ninety minutes up Les Davies slid the ball through for Sion Edwards who needed no second invitation to race on goal and net beyond the exposed Cann for a decisive second goal.


            Manager Nev Powell was understandably pleased with the result "I thought we were the better side, we controlled it for long periods, but whilst its one nil you cant switch off against teams like Carmarthen". From Mark Aizlewood's point of view it was slightly different "We missed four fantastic opportunities before conceding a schoolboy error type of goal. This gave Bangor an underserved lead going into the breakin a match they knew they had to win".


            So opinions differ - understandably enough - but three points and a clean sheet for Bangor with just two league games to go.


            Report by Mike Smith

            We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

            I accept cookies from this site.

            EU Cookie Directive Module Information