Bangor City vs Port Talbot
3 3

More Information

Match Date: Saturday, 30 March 2013
Match Time: 14:30

Starting line up




            Time Event
            90 Goal Goal - Les Davies
            71 Goal Goal - Ryan Edwards
            43 Goal Goal - Chris Jones


            Bangor and Port Talbot drew for the fourth and final time this season in what was an entertaining if error strewn afternoon at Nantporth.

            Blues boss Nev Powell brought Kris Thomas in at rightback with Robbie Booth starting on the left wing. Young Jamie McDaid was named amongst the substitutes with Peter Hoy and Jamie Brewerton injured.

            Attacking the Bridge End City started the brighter with Chris Jones denied twice is quick succession after some ten minutes from Booth's left wing cross. Port Talbot were forced to replace Carl Payne with Sacha Walters moments later and City won a corner which Kris Thomas headed over.

            But against the run of play the visitors took the lead on twenty minutes. Chad Bond saw one shot blocked from the right before he forced the ball home from close range. The scene was set for a high scoring afternoon and so it proved. Kris Thomas went close for Bangor before a long distance Les Davies freekick was too close to 'Talbot keeper Stephen Hall who pouched easily.

            City forced a couple more corners and exposed some anxiety in the visitors defence for whom the podgy Hall looked a bit short when dealing with crosses. Martin Rose, always a thorn in Bangor's side, shot low on target but Lee Idzi saved well.

            Referee Brian James made his first big call when Chris Simm appeared to be tugged down by last man defender Bloom but nothing doing. Then on the stroke of half time Bangor drew level. Another foul on Simm yielded a freekick which Robbie Booth sent goalwards and as the ball dropped Chris Jones pounced to lift the spirits of the Nantporth faitfhul. Leftback Lloyd Grist was booked for a comment aimed at Referee James.

            And that was about it for the first half with Bangor having more possession but Port Talbot, and in particular the spring heeled David Brooks on the left, looking dangerous on the counter.

            HALF TIME  1-1

            No changes at the interval...

            Bangor forced the first chance of the second period when Chris Simm's found Robbie Booth but he shot over from the edge of the box. Next Simm repeated the feat to inviite a drive from Ryan Edwards which Hall pushed over for City's fourth corner of the afternoon.

            A couple more flag kicks reflected the pressure building on the visitors goal but Chris Simm was thwarted by a goal line clearance from Lewis Harling with the stocky goalkeeper beaten.  But ten minutes after the restart rightback Kris Thomas was ruled to have fouled David Brooks and the light weight winger picked himself to send Lee Idzi the wrong way..

            Bangor responded with a sixth corner but Chris Jones fired over from the edge of the box before Robbie Booth chased with speed down the left, cut inside onto his right foot but Hall saved comfortably. Chris Simm shot on across goal from the right but Martin Rose headed against the woodwork as Port Talbot continued to threaten.

            City then made a double change. Sion Edwards replaced Chris Jones with Robbie Booth switching to the right, Liam Brownhill taking over from Kris Thomas at rightback. That was on sixty six minutes. On 72 it was all square. Another layoff from Chris Simm this time to midfield dynamo Ryan Edwards whose fierce drive beat Hall all ends up to the delight of the noisy Bangor support.

            Lewis Harling was booked for dissent but five minutes later Talbot had the lead for a third time when David Brooks raced clear down the left to beat Lee Idzi with a low strike. His celebrations involved ripping his shirt off in a bizarre gesture aimed at the main stand - given that you might find more muscle on a marshmallow.. Yellow card again - all three for dissent of sorts after a goal.

            With five minutes left Nev Powell gave Jamie McDaid his Welsh Premier debut - after a goalscoring bow in midweek - with Robbie Booth making way. With injuries to both Michael Johnston and visiting keeper Hall there were six added minutes displayed by the fourth official - money for old rope - and still hope for Bangor.

            In the fourth minute of added time the equaliser came when Les Davies clattered home a close range chance for City after a cross into the box had caused confusion.  This was a just reward for the big striker who led the line well, spread the ball out to the wings and made a nuisance of himself all afternoon.

            But that was how it ended, a fourth draw in the four league encounters between the north and south coast blues.

            And with two points dropped by Bangor with Airbus now hot favourites to win the race for runners up and UEFA qualification.

            We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

            I accept cookies from this site.

            EU Cookie Directive Module Information