Carmarthen Town vs Bangor City
0 1

More Information

Match Date: Saturday, 23 February 2013
Match Time: 14:30
Attendances : 237

Starting line up




            Time Event
            75 Yellow card Yellow card - Chris Jones
            11 Goal Goal - Les Davies


            Bangor bounced back to winning ways with a single goal victory at Richmond Park against struggling Carmarthen.

            That was the opening line of the match report from the first meeting between the two sides and it seems particularly fitting this time around too. Bangor pressed from the kick off and the all important goal came on eleven minutes when the re-instated Chris Jones crossed for Les Davies to head firmly beyond Town goalkeeper Stephen Cann for his seventh goal of the season.

            Bangor were well served by the midfield tandem of Ryan Edwards and Damien Allen with pace and menace aplenty on the wings from Chris Jones and Sion Edwards.

            Town responded and first Ian Hillier and then Paul Fowler went close before on the half hour Chris Simm fired on target.

            But Bangor then lost Michael Johnston who limped off with what looked like a groin problem to be replaced by Dave Morley. Ten minutes from time big Christian Doidge shot wide for Carmarthen and then five minutes later Bangor went close to doubling their lead when Chris Jones fired goalwards but his fierce struck a defender a deflected to safety.

            So the half time score stood at a promising one nil for the visitors...

            HALF TIME  0-1

            No changes at the interval as Bangor looked to protect their advantage with Carmarthen having to press forward.

            The early chance of the second period fell to Carmarthen but Christian Doidge hooked wide after latching onto goalkeeper Cann's booming clearance.

            Bangor responded as Les Davies threatened to add to his tally with a run in behind the home defence but Cann saved his clean drive from the edge of the box. On the hour mark City won three corners in quick succession but could not force a clear opening.

            Midway through the half Carmarthen replaced the lumbering Doidge with the pacey Casey Thomas.

            Ten minutes from time a real worry as Lee Idzi was adjudged to have handled a backpass on his six yard line. These attacking freekicks are generally nearly impossible to score from - older readers may remember Barry Ashworth could do so - and after the initial strike from Paul Fowler was blocked the blues defence smashed Liam Thomas' follow up effort away and the danger passed.

            Both Craig Hanford and Chris Jones were yellow carded by Referee Harrington with fifteen minutes to go before Liam McCreesh and Matthew Rees then came on for Town pair Corey Thomas and Ian Hillier respectively.

            In the closing five minutes of normal time Bangor pushed for a second goal but despite winning four corners in as many minutes could not force a conclusive strike.

            Both Carl Evans and recent arrival Geoff Kellaway went close for a desperate Carmarthen as they won their only corner of the afternoon in the closing minutes. City sent on late replacements Gary O'Toole and Robbie Booth for Chris Simm and Sion Edwards and Bangor stood firm and finally notched that elusive and eagerly awaited victory. And eleven corners won on the road suggests that this was a deserved if slender win for City.

            A long overdue win for Bangor and a first league clean sheet since November.

            MIKE SMITH

            We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

            I accept cookies from this site.

            EU Cookie Directive Module Information