Matchreport: Welsh Cup Quarter Finals - Saturday, 02 March 2013 - 15:00 h
vs Airbus UK Broughton
1 0

More Information

Match Date: Saturday, 02 March 2013
Match Time: 15:00 h
Attendances : 502

Starting line up


Time Event
90 2 Yellow card Yellow card (Field) - Airbus
90 5 Yellow card Yellow card (Tomassen) - Airbus
30 Goal Goal - Chris Simm


A battling performance and a crucial win for Bangor in the Welsh Cup Quarter Final to overcome Airbus and set up a semi final date with TNS.
  And once again it was Chris Simm who scored the crucial goal although S4C pundits rightly ruled that Jamie Brewerton was outstanding for City.
  Attacking the Menai Bridge End it was Bangor who looked the brighter winning a couple of early corners and inside ten minutes Les Davies headed Chris Jones' cross just wide. Airbus responded through Jordan Johnson who fired well over from the edge of the box.
  There were encouraging signs from Les Davies and Chris Simm and the big Maesgeirchen marauders released his strike partner but Tommasen blocked. Then Davies crossed but Simm headed just off target. On twenty minutes Bangor's number nine flicked on for Chris Jones but his attempted chip was pouched by the good natured Stephens who seemed to enjoy his afternoon.
  When Airbus threatened captain Brewerton and defensive partner Dave Morley stood firm against the Steve Abbott and when the former Wrexham professional did find time and space to turn and shoot on the penalty spot he picked out Lee Idzi.
  City took the lead on 23 minutes. Liam Brownhill gathered the ball on half way and ran slightly infield before slotting midfielder Ryan Edwards wide to the right. His inviting cross picked out Chris Simm at the back post and his powerful header beat young Stephens all ends up. For the stattos out there this was Simm's fifth of the season against Airbus, his twentieth overall, and his first in any cup competition.
  Bangor held sway and defended strongly when forced to do so with Morley and Brewerton prominent, ably supported by fullbacks Liam Brownhill and Chris Roberts. Seven minutes from time Airbus won their first corner before Glenn Rule got involved with some nonesense in the Bangor dugout and clearly pushed Nev Powell out of his way. Referee Dean John consulted his linesman before restarting play. Something and nothing.
  As time ran out The Planemakers pushed for an equaliser with Jason Jarrett seeing his shot blocked and then leftback Sam Hart coming off the worse following a collision with Liam Brownhill. After two minutes of added time Referee John blew for the break and City fans lined up for a pie or a pint with cheer in their hearts...
  One change at the interval with Michael Johnston replacing Dave Morley
  The visitors now attacked the Menai Bridge End with the sun in their faces. Glenn Rule crossed but Steve Abbott headed over off balance thanks in no small part to the presence of captain Brewerton. Would Bangor miss the height of Dave Morley if crosses rained in? It didnt work out that way in fairness.
  On the hour Airbus did have the ball in the net but Phil Bolland might just have heard the whistle before his header looped over Lee Idzi. Freekick to Bangor. Two minutes later Jason Jarrett made way for Ryan Wade as the visitors made their first change.
  Midway through what was in some ways a subdued second period substitute Wade sliced wide but Tom Field went close with a 25 yard screamer which clipped the outside of the righthand post with Lee Idzi for once beaten at full stretch. Bangor sprang back to life with eighteen minutes left when Ryan Edwards crossed and Chris Simm darted Mottram style to the near post but steered his header just wide. Moments later Robbie Booth replaced Sion Edwards.
  With fifteen minutes to go Airbus had two half hearted penalty appeals waved away by Referee John - well done - and three minutes later Chris Budrys replaced Steve Abbott whilst midfielder Levi Mackin trotted on for Damien Allen who had been ill during the week.
  Airbus won a corner which Bangor cleared and resulted in goalkeeper Stephens sliding out at the feet of Robbie Booth on the right as a second goal beckoned. With eight minutes to go Ritchie Partridge replaced Johnson.  Bangor might have been home and hosed moments later as Chris Simm battled for the ball in the 'Bus box and fired on target but Sam Hart hacked off the line.
  Three minutes to go - or so we thought - and the visitors forced a couple of corners the first of which saw Michael Johnston and Chris Budrys treated following a clash of heads which left both seeing stars. And I don't mean Gwyn Pierce Owen.
  With ninety mins all but done the fourth official indicated six more were due and City fans groaned in dismay. But in all honesty the expected nervous closure never materialised as Les Davies and Chris Simm won freekicks and throws, in fact the only clear chance of added time saw Simm shoot cleanly but Stephens saved low to his left. As tempered frayed Field and then Tomassen were yellow carded but Bangor stood firm and at the final whistle it was City who celebrated their passage to the semi finals and what turned out to be a meeting with cup holder The New Saints.

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.

EU Cookie Directive Module Information