Matchreport: Welsh Cup Final - Monday, 06 May 2013 - 15:00 h
Bangor City vs Prestatyn Town
1 3

More Information

Match Date: Monday, 06 May 2013
Match Time: 15:00 h


Bangor were beaten in extra time by a hard working Prestatyn side for whom Jason Price scored twice.

City though missed a penalty - that is dismissive of a fantastic save by Jon Hill Dunt - and somehow failed to capitalise on a number of promising openings.

But it was Prestatyn who stole an early lead. A swinging cross from right wingback Chris Davies was half cleared to left footer Ross Stephens. His low cross shot picked out the unmarked Jamie Price who prodded home from four yards. But inside ten minutes Bangor had a penalty. Chris Roberts' lofted cross tempted Ashley Stephens to push Chris Simm and Referee Morgan pointed to the spot. A touch harsh perhaps... Up stepped Dave Morley and went low to the right but Jon Hill Dunt dived low and pushed the ball away for a corner.

The burly glovesman was in the action again minutes later as Liam Brownhill's overhit cross threatened to sneak under the crossbar and had to be palmed over for a second corner. But Prestatyn might have gone two nil up when Ross Stephens crossed low from the left and Price got his feet tangled and missed a glorious opportunity.

Another great save next from Hill Dunt whose acrobatic punch from Les Davies powerful header kept the scores level. The high cross came from the right after measured approach play involving Ryan Edwards and Liam Brownhill.  Bangor had the simply outstanding Michael Johnston yellow carded for a supposed pull on Andy Parkinson which was both harsh and prophetic.

The half time score then remained at one nil to the red shirted town side although on the balance of play and chances created it could have been all square. But Bangor felt aggrieved by the ability of Prestatyn players to convince referee Morgan that they had been wronged. None more able than Gibson and his onfield assistant Wilson.


No changes at the interval...

City now attacking the Mold Road End and with the need to push the Seasiders back. An early chance came when a long ball through the middle was flicked on by Les Davies for Chris Jones to run into the box but Hill Dunt saved.

But on the hour the scores were level as Chris Simm ran to the left and fired back across goal for Chris Davies to deflect the ball past the helpless goalkeeper. Gibson then floated the ball out to Michael Parker on the left but his firs touch allowed Lee Idzi to close the gap and smother the shot at close range.

Bangor went close again as Chris Simm outpaced the veteran Stones on the right but his rasping drive flew over. City sensed their chance was at hand and after Chris Simm has seen his shot blocked Ryan Edwards fired low from twenty five yards but another low dive from Hill Dunt saved the day. Parkinson fired wide from similar range as Prestatyn continued to threaten on the break.

Sion Edwards who had replaced Chris Jones on the hour picked up Chris Roberts pass to cross from the left but Les Davies sent his header wide of the near post in what was turning out to be a frustrating afternoon for the big striker.

Ninety minutes came and went. The two outstanding players of normal time Jon Hill Dunt and Michael Johnston contemplated what had been little realising how cruelly events would unfold.

Bangor forged a good chance when Prestatyn failed to clear Chris Roberts' long throw from the left. The ball dropped to substitute Robbie Booth whose chip picked out Les Davies but his downward header bounced narrowly wide. Then the incident that killed Bangor's chances and exposed the folly of picking a referee on sentiment. A booted clearance from the back invited a pacey run from Andy Parkinson down the left. Michael Johnston matched him stride for stride to toe poke the ball out for a corner with his left foot. Parkinson tumbled down. Morgan was fifty yards behind play but was sure it was a foul. Second yellow and red for Johnston. That Prestatyn scored from the freekick with Ross Stephens claiming a vital touch was insult to injury.

City were broken, their outstanding player off the field and down to ten. Worst was to follow as Jason Price played a one two with Parkinson, got a fortunate bounce of Peter Hoy and netted from close range. All over at three one.

It would be wrong not to congratulate Prestatyn whose rise from junior football has been impressive. It would be impossible not to contemplate that a younger fitter referee might have got the big decisions right. There was one telling moment when Parkinson went down feigning injury and jumped up once a freekick was won. Referee Morgan belatedly realised he had been conned and insisted the trainer come and the player go off - for longer than he might - but by then it was too late.

Report by Mike Smith (The Citizens' Choice)

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.

EU Cookie Directive Module Information