Matchreport: Third Round - Saturday, 07 December 2013 - 15:15
Rhyl vs Bangor City
1 2

More Information

Match Date: Saturday, 07 December 2013
Match Time: 15:15


A winner late into added time at the end of the match decided this end to end cup tie which settled the bragging rights in North Wales for a few weeks at least.

And more importantly for Bangor it keeps the season very much alive ahead of a Fourth Round trip to Airbus in early February 2014.

City kicked off attacking the Grange Road End (main entrance) with a breeze at their backs. With Ryan Edwards and the blues midfield quicker off the mark Bangor gained the early initiative which saw an overhit freekick from Sion Edwards sail over but the hosts carved out a half chance which Tom Roberts blazed well over from the edge of the box.

City won their first corner which came to nothing but Sion Edwards quickly brought Alex Ramsay into the action with a low shot which the promising young 'keeper saved to his right. Minutes later Paul McManus crossed for Rhyl's second corner of the afternoon but no one could get a vital touch and the danger passed.

Bangor continued with the tactic of exposing the lumbering Astles as left back Benson seemed unwilling to cover and forced a third and fourth corner down the right. Then on 25 minutes Jamie Petrie crossed low to the near post but the inrushing Rob Jones just failed to make contact.
City were the better team now and seemed sure to score. Alex Ramsay had been man of the match a week earlier and his double save to deny first Chris Jones and then Sion Edwards again caught the eye. Within a minute though The Lilywhites had the lead.

Midfielder Danny Laverty ran into the box from the right and was tackled by Damien Allen who clearly slid the ball out for a corner. Referee Bryn Markham Jones guessed otherwise and awarded a penalty. The noisy Rhyl fans behind Lee Idzi's goal greeted the penalty award and then celebrated loudly as Steve Lewis converted the spot kick for a one nil lead twelve minutes before the break.

Rob Jones shot wide from the right as City pushed forward with a sense of injustice. Sion Edwards fired on target from 25 yards but again Ramsay saved. Then with two minutes to go to half time the hapless Astles handled and Sion Edwards crossed the freekick from the right onto the head of unmarked Anthony Miley who nodded home from six yards.

That was the final moment of note of the first half as the teams left the field level at one all.

HALF TIME 1-1: No changes at the interval.

The first action of the second period saw Damien Allen shoot goalwards but Ramsay saved. Then Steve Lewis bustled into the box from the left but his shot crashed into the side netting. This heralded a period of pressure by the home side who made the power and height tell and pushed City back onto their own line at times.

First Astles headed on goal but Lee Idzi saved from Rhyl's fifth corner of the afternoon then the Brecon glovesman used his legs to deny Dave Forbes. The Lilywhites went closer still moments later when a sixth home corner resulted in chaos in the blues six yard area with Forbes and Lewis going close before Lee Idzi gratefully pounced on the ball.

This prompted manager Nev Powell to send on Jamie McDaid in place of Rob Jones with 25 minutes to go but it was the calm figure of Anthony Miley who stepped in to deny Laverty as the midfielder drove into the Bangor box. With fifteen minutes left on the clock Jon Bathurst came on for Steve Lewis to the relief of City followers.

Immediately City with a cross which Alex Ramsay flapped at and Jamie McDaid fired goalwards but Rimmer blocked. Then Rhyl pushed forward once more with Lee Idzi saving well from Laverty who was the pick of the hosts midfielders. And yet oddly it was Laverty who made way moments later for high profile signing Tom Donegan.

The young substitute forced a couple of decent saves from Lee Idzi as the home side pressed for the all important second goal. Rhyl won and sent over a seventh and final corner which Ryan Astles headed wide and the fourth official indicated just two minutes would be added after the ninety.
Bangor played out from rightback with Michael Johnston passing to Joe Culshaw who had enjoyed his best performance so far in the blue shirt.

He passed to the left for Damien Allen who ran infield before seeking out to Sion Edwards but his progress was stopped by rightback Woodward whose tackle led to a thrown in midway inside the Rhyl half on the Bangor left.

Damien Allen threw the ball infield to Sion Edwards who cut left to right, passed first Roberts and then Mike Walsh and as Astles came out to attempt a challenge the left winger slotted home right footed with goalkeeper Ramsay glued ot the spot. This was a late late strike from the hugely impressive and increasingly mature wide man more noted of late for his 30 yard specials!

Referee Markham Jones rightly - if agonisingly - added another minute to the two displayed to allow for Bangor's on pitch celebrations but City stood firm and the whistle finally blew on a hard fought but deserved away win.

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.

EU Cookie Directive Module Information