Matchreport: Round 7 - Saturday, 28 September 2013 - 19:30
Connah's Quay vs Bangor City
2 1

More Information

Match Date: Friday, 27 September 2013
Match Time: 19:30
Attendances : 382

Starting line up



          Time Event
          90 Goal Connah's
          89 Came in  Rob Jones (Midfielder)
            Went out  Iolo Hughes
          78 Came in  Sion Edwards (Midfielder)
            Went out  Joe Culshaw
          78 Came in  Jamie Petrie (Forward)
            Went out  John Owen
          72 Penalty goal Connah's
          39 Own goal Connah's


          A disappointing end to a poor game. City lost to a penalty and set piece goal against a very ordinary looking Nomads side.


          And to make matter worse the winning goal went in on ninety minutes scored by a forward who had been laughably wasteful all evening.

          Bangor settled the quicker of the two with Sion Edwards' freekick catching Terry McCormick unawares but the former Conwy glovesman recovered to clear the danger. It was ten minutes in before the home side forced a clear opening when Ryan Edwards weak shot was gathered by Lee Idzi.


          On the quarter hour City could have taken the lead. Lee Idzi's clearance was headed on by Les Davies and Sion Edwards snuck in behind the defence to feed Chris Jones but McCormick pulled off a point blank save. With a minute Chris Jones crossed from the right but former Nomad Jamie Petrie headed wide at the near post before Rob Jones' shot was deflected behind for a corner.


          Connahs Quay responded with a freekick on the right which Mark McGregor headed goalwards but Lee Idzi bagged easily.


          Moments later though City's number one was forced to work harder as the promising Edwards raced clear but his low shot was turned away by the keepers dive. Both teams were guilty of too many misplaced passes and at times a lack of urgency.


          On the half hour Bangor should have gone ahead. Chris Jones found space on the right but somehow McCormick kept his shot at bay before Rob Jones and Chris Jones again saw shots blocked and hacked clear. Moments later former Llangefni centrehalf Michael Robinson hobbled off to be replaced by the uniquely named Danny Dobbins.


          Les Davies set a standard of selfless endeavour with a chase down the left which unsettled McCormick who clearly did not want to kick. On 39 minutes Bangor finally had the lead. Chris Jones lifted the ball infield to Ryan Edwards whose low shot from the right was bound for Les Davies but Jack Rowlands slid in to concede an own goal from a yard out at most.


          The home side worked an opening through the middle but Michael Johnston denied Hayes and moments later Lee Idzi sent a booming clearance upfield which Les Davies headed on but Sion Edwards lifted over the bar. Before the one minute of added time was up Dobbins had also lofted well over at the opposite end.


          Llanllechid referee Lee Evans blew for half time with Bangor fans wondering how the lead was only one nil..


          HALF TIME 0-1


          No changes at the interval.


          Bangor now attacking left to right in front of the stand. City won a throw on the right which Rob Jones hurled in Peter Hoy style.


          The ball was clearly handled by Paul Mooney and rolled to Chris Jones shot wide. This was a penalty and a big let off for the home side - but oddly enough at the time few Bangor players realised what had happened.


          Moments later Gary O'Toole sent a long range shot straight at Lee Idzi quickly followed by another hopeful but harmless effort from strike partner Mike Hayes.


          City kept the pressure on the home goal. Les Davies' pass left Chris Jones clear on goal but his shot was punched away by McCormick. The Nomads responded through Ryan Edwards whose clean shot was saved by Lee Idzi. On the hour Hayes fired over from fifteen yards as the game swung end to end and then set up Gary O'Toole but again Idzi saved and Hayes sliced wide of an open goal.


          On 71 minutes the balance of power shifted. Michael Johnston brought down Danny Forde in the box and referee Evans rightly awarded a penalty which former blue Gary O'Toole converted and celebrated as if he had won the World Cup. Within a minute Bangor broke into the home box and a similar challenge by McGregor brought loud penalty appeals but nothing doing.


          Mike Hayes then missed another open goal. Sion Edwards was coming into the game more on the left and tempted a wild challenge out of Danny Forde who was duly yellow carded. The freekick came to nothing and with thirteen minutes left a double substitution for Bangor as Joe Culshaw and John Owen came on for Sion Edwards and Jamie Petrie.


          Owen immediately won Bangor a corner which was deflected out for another. Culshaw crossed and Dec Walker saw his clean header hacked off the line. Les Davies forced a fourth City corner of the evening before Iolo Hughes came on for Rob Jones.


          The game looked set for a draw before Mr Evans gave Connahs Quay a freekick which Lee Idzi seemed to misjudge for the previously wasteful Mike Hayes to crash home. The red shirted Nomads celebrated wildly and the fourth official displayed four minutes added time despite Lee Idzi lying prone on the pitch receiving treatment.


          Bangor refused to give up and again it was Lee Idzi who launched a high clearance which Les Davies flicked on but John Owen could only turn into the side netting from the right. And that was about it. A late change as O'Toole smirked his way off to be replaced by Jamie Wynne but it was the pimply home supporters who were singing as the final whistle blew.


          With Derek Goulding watching from the sidelines manager Nev Powell might have pondered how the scoreline would have looked with Carl Dale alongside Big Les...

          We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

          I accept cookies from this site.

          EU Cookie Directive Module Information