Matchreport: Round 11 - Saturday, 26 October 2013 - 15:45
Port Talbot vs Bangor City
1 2

More Information

Match Date: Saturday, 26 October 2013
Match Time: 15:45
Attendances : 225

Starting line up



          Time Event
          92 Came in  Jamie Petrie (Midfielder)
            Went out  John Littlemore (Forward)
          80 Came in  Sion Edwards (Midfielder)
            Went out  Jamie McDaid (Forward)
          70 Came in  Iolo Hughes (Defender)
            Went out  Joe Culshaw (Defender)
          Goal Chris Jones
          Goal Declan Walker
          Goal Port


          As Wales coach Osian Roberts commented at the end, Bangor won this game because they kept their shape, worked hard and defended well. In those few words there is a lot of truth..

          The pre match news saw Chris Roberts replaced by Iolo Hughes whose only previous start for City was a mile away at Afan Lido. The much talked about Spaniard Guillem Bauza started on the bench. Rhys Griffiths sat watching in a suit and tie.

          But on a blustery day on the south coast it was Port Talbot who started the brighter with David Brooks crossing from the right but Sacha Walters crashed the ball against the side netting. Little Adam Wright was causing a problem or two and his challenge and charge created an opening but he fired over from twelve yards.

          It was no surprise then when Port Talbot went ahead on eleven minutes. Sacha Walters pounced on a mistake by Michael Johnston to run on goal and shoot high at Lee Idzi who inexplicably palmed the ball up and into his own net. Three minutes later Bangor went agonisingly close to an equaliser. Rob Jones' long throw was headed on by Les Davies and headed against the cross bar by Anthony Miley with goalkeeper Steven Hall well beaten.

          On twenty minutes, with Port Talbot in full flow, Lee Idzi redeemed himself with a full length dive to deny David Brooks and moments later he pouched a tame low effort from Martin Rose. City forced a couple of corners but it was Port Talbot who threatened to extend their lead as goalscorer Walters released Adam Wright but Lee Idzi charged out to block with his feet.

          With thirteen minutes to the interval Sacha Walters was shown the yellow card for a foul on leftback Iolo Hughes who had surged upfield. Freekick and up stepped rightback Dec Walker to drive home from twenty five yards via a deflection of Lee Surman. Two minutes later Lee Idzi atoned for the third time for his earlier gaff with an outstanding save from David Brooks after clever build up from Adam Wright and Martin Rose.

          On 42 minutes goalkeeper Hall was injured as he headed clear from Jamie Petrie outside the box but two minutes into added time a pointless pull on the shirt of Chris Jones by Adie Harris resulted in a Bangor penalty. This time Chris Jones took the responsibility and sent Hall the wrong way to grab a two one half time lead.

          HALF TIME 1-2: No changes at the interval.

          In the opening minutes the home side won their third corner of the afternoon but Ashley Evans fired well over from the edge of the box.

          Next Hall miskicked to Les Davies but made up for the mistake with a decent save. Just short of the hour mark a fourth corner for Port Talbot was half cleared and crossed back in but Lee Surman sent his downward header narrowly side.

          Bangor went close when Les Davies controlled the ball as he ran right to left, went beyond Surman but shot across goal from the left. Then Jamie Petrie ran past Adie Harris and Lee Surman on the right but lifted his shot over as the angle tightened.

          On 65 minutes the pony tailed Guillem Bauza replaced David Brooks and, in fairness, struggled to make any impact. Two minutes later a foul on Chris Jones led to a freekick which Dec Walker fired over from distance.

          Port Talbot then threatened a moment of madness took over the Bangor box until Lee Surman's shot was deflected for a fifth corner but City stood firm.

          With nineteen minutes left Joe Culshaw came on for Iolo Hughes who had looked composed at left back. Les davies released Jamie Petrie down the left. He cut inside Lee Surman but sent his twenty five yard effort wide of the post. By now a couple of the floodlights had gone on strike but in fairness it was a bright enough evening for play to carry on.

          Ten minutes remained when Jamie McDaid came on for Sion Edwards as manager Powell refused to go on the defensive and three minutes later Lewis Harling replaced Sacha Walters. When Port Talbot did press Anthony Miley and Michael Johnston were in the right place at the right time and midfielder Rob Jones and Ryan Edwards ran themselves into the ground.

          In the final minute Martin Rose was lucky referee James did not act as he kicked Lee Idzi when the ball bounced out for a goal kick to City. Four minutes of added time where shown and City sent on John Littlemore to replace Jamie Petrie who ran the home defence out of their comfort zone. There was still time for Rob Jones to bravely block James Bloom close range shot and for the home side to win a seventh and final corner but Lee Surman again headed wide to the relief of the travelling citizens.

          Moments later Referee James blew for time and Bangor celebrated three hard won points on the road and a cheery ride home.

          After the match manager Nev Powell dedicated the victory to club president Gwyn Pierce Owen who is unwell.

          We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

          I accept cookies from this site.

          EU Cookie Directive Module Information