Matchreport: Round 22 - Saturday, 18 January 2014 - 15:30
Aberystwyth Town vs Bangor City
3 3

More Information

Match Date: Saturday, 18 January 2014
Match Time: 15:30

Starting line up



          Time Event
          90 Came in  Sion Edwards (Midfielder)
            Went out  Gerwyn Jones (Defender)
          90 Yellow card Damien Allen
          90 Came in  Ryan Edwards (Midfielder)
            Went out  Corey Jones (Midfielder)
          87 Yellow card Declan Walker
          84 Yellow card Sion Edwards
          69 Goal Sion Edwards
          57 Came in  Joe Culshaw (Midfielder)
            Went out  Jamie McDaid (Forward)
          46 Goal Aberystwyth
          37 Yellow card Michael Johnston
          33 Goal Les Davies
          19 Goal Sion Edwards
          18 Goal Aberystwyth
          13 Goal Aberystwyth


          Bangor fought back from an early two goal deficit to claim and draw and with it the all important point which secures a top six finish.

          The pre match news concerned Chris and Rob Jones who were laid low by illness. Chris Roberts came in at leftback with Joe Culshaw switching to a central midfield holding position.

          But it was Aber who started on the front foot and threatened to run away with the game. Attacking the Dias Stand they won a couple of early corners with Stuart Jones heading high over from the second. Either side of ten minutes first Mark Jones and then Chris Venables went close.

          So it was no great surprise that the home side took the lead inside twelve minutes. Geoff Kellaway latched onto Stuart Jones knock down to crash home from the edge of the box to the delight of the home fans behind the goal. Aber forced a third corner as City were pushed backwards on on 17 minutes it was two nil.

          This time it was the lanky Chris Venables who pounced on some dreadful defending to beat Lee Idzi from ten hards out. Blues boss Nev Powell must have wondered what was happening and demanded a response from the Citizens.

          It came just two minutes after Venables strike. Some powerful play from Dec Walker resulted in a Bangor corner from the right which left footer Sion Edwards swung in - and with goalkeeper Mike Lewis in the back of the net - the ball went straight in. The former Afan Lido glovesman was shown the yellow card for his complaints but the goal stood.

          Boosted by this goal Bangor now got into the game. Ryan Edwards crossed low but no one anticipated before Les Davies shot goalwards from twenty yards but Lewis saved. On the half hour Aber forced their fourth corner but Lee Idzi saved and moments later it was his opposite number who pulled off a great stop to palm away Dec Walker fierce rising drive from the right.

          With twelve minutes to go before the break City drew level. Ryan Edwards crossed and the ball fell to Les Davies who drilled home through Lewis' legs from eight yards. Three minutes later the big striker might have put Bangor ahead but his guided header was saved by goalkeeper Lewis with feet.

          Two minutes before half time Mark Jones and Chris Venables charged at the Bangor goal but Damien Allen's perfectly timed challenged snuffed out the danger and moments later both side marched off with the visiting camp clearly the happier with the two all scorelines.

          HALF TIME 2-2: No changes at the interval.

          Within fifty seconds of the restart Aber went ahead once more. Craig Williams broke down the left and his volleyed cross bounced beyond Mark Jones for Chris Venables who late run allowed him to slide the ball past Lee Idzi from the far post.

          The home side were in the ascedancy once more and won a couple more corners before, ten minutes after the restart, leftback Chris Roberts lashed wide from twenty yards for City.

          Former Llanelli winger Craig Williams shot from the left edge of the box and with a goal looking certain the ball veered wide and City breathed a sigh of relief. On 57 minutes midfield anchorman Joe Culshaw made way for young striker Jamie McDaid as City switched from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2 as the situation dictated. But it was Aber and more specifically Geoff Kellaway who went close but he sliced wide after an inviting short pass from Corbisiero on the right edge of the box.

          Midway through the half Cledan Davies crossed and with a hatrick for the taking Chris Venables headed wide from six yards.

          And how he would rue that miss as two minutes later with 21 left to play City were awarded a freekick to the left, infront of the clubhouse. Dec Walker delivered with pace and Sion Edwards measured his looping header to perfection and Lewis was beaten all ends up. Three all.

          Referee Markham Jones now got into the action with a number of yellow cards. On 72 mins it was Geoff Kellaway for a foul on Damien Allen on the half way line. Five minutes later Tom Shaw went into the book for a cynical trip on Jamie Petrie.

          Both sides won corners but neither came to anything. With ten minutes to go young Jamie McDaid raced clear to the right and squared the ball unselfishly for Les Davies but the hugely impressive Nalborski cleared.

          Moments later as Aber countered experienced midfielder Antonio Corbisiero fired wide from outside the box.

          Now it was Bangor's turn to feel the wrath of the sturdy official as Sion Edwards and then Dec Walker had their names taken.

          With a minute left to play Corey Jones came on for Jamie Petrie and moments later the fourth official indicated three minutes of added time lay ahead. But in that split second Mark Jones fired low on goal and Lee Idzi pulled off a tremendous low save to keep the scores level.

          In added time Gerwyn Jones came on for Sion Edwards and after delaying over a throw in Damien Allen joined the names in the book but moments later few worried as the final whistle blew on a well earned point for Bangor on a heavy Park Avenue pitch.

          We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

          I accept cookies from this site.

          EU Cookie Directive Module Information