Matchreport: Round 12 - Saturday, 02 November 2013 - 19:30
Bangor City vs Connah's Quay
4 1

More Information

Match Date: Friday, 01 November 2013
Match Time: 19:30
Attendances : 604

Starting line up



          Time Event
          90 Came in  Sion Edwards (Midfielder)
            Went out  Corey Jones
          81 Came in  Chris Jones (Midfielder)
            Went out  John Littlemore
          71 Goal Sion Edwards
          62 Goal Jamie Petrie
          58 Came in  Rob Jones (Midfielder)
            Went out  Joe Culshaw
          11 Goal Sion Edwards
          10 Goal Les Davies
          03 Goal Connah's (Hayes)


          Bangor were able to welcome back Chris Roberts on the left side of defence before his long awaited operation.

          City kicked off attacking the Antelope end. But it was Connahs Quay who stole an early lead as Mark McGregors ball forward caused a defensive mix up and presented the ball to Mike Hayes who seemed to be caught by Lee Idzi but - with no penalty forthcoming - the Nomads striker got to his feet and slid the ball home from a tight angle on the right inside three minutes.

          Minutes later the visitors won their first corner which was half cleared by Michael Johnston which was pounced on by the hugely promising Ryan Edwards whose left footer whistled narrowly wide. But the tide turned as City won their first corner on the right on ten minutes which Les Davies headed home from Sion Edwards inswinging flag kick to level the scores.

          Within a minute it was 2-1 for Bangor as Les Davies returned the favour and released Sion Edwards who smashed the ball beyond Terry McCormick into the top left hand corner to set the home fans celebrating.

          Two goals inside a minute.

          Next a freekick for Bangor 35 yards out set up by Dec Walker but he fired wide to the relief of the visitors defence. Nomads won a freekick of their own but this came to nothing.

          Les Davies then crossed from the left but Jamie Petrie's near post run meant the ball ran behind him. Jamie Petrie crossed but Ryan Edwards - the Bangor version - placed his first time effort just wide with McCormick beaten

          A good run by Sion Edwards down the left forced Craig Jones to turn the ball out for a second Bangor corner. Sion Edwards delivered but the ball sped across the six yard line and ran to safety wiht no one able to get a telling touch.

          Some more uncertainty as Lee Idzi pushed away a cross from the right which meant a second corner for the visitors on the half hour. City failed to clear until Jamie Petrie won a tackle and throw in. Sion Edwards ran down the left and crossed but visiting keeper McCormick saved bravely at the feet of Jamie Petrie.

          The former Conwy stopper was injured in the collision and needed treatment before he could continue.

          A scrappy period culminated in Michael Johnston ending Paul Mooney's run on the edge of the City box.

          With some ten minutes to play before the interval Les Davies rounded McGregor but again Jamie Petrie could not quite make contact. Then Bangor's Ryan Edwards fired wide after the visitors defence failed to clear.

          Within a minute Sion Edwards found himself in space but he placed the ball just wide with McCormick beaten.

          Chris Roberts and Sion Edwards combined on the left but Les Davies' header flew inches wide.

          With just minutes remaining all action midfielder Ryan Edwards forced another save out of McCormick who had been by far the busier of the two keepers in the first half.

          Two minutes added time was shown in which Les Davies needed treatment following a challenge.

          Mark Petch blew for time with City leading 2-1 after a much improved showing as the half moved on.

          HALF TIME 2-1 No changes at the interval.

          Five minutes after the restart the first substitution of the evening as Simon Everall replaced Gary O'Toole.

          A let off for City as a last ditch tackle from Anthony Miley denied Mike Hayes and a third corner was cleared by the resolute Miley to release Rob Jones but the ball was lost. Then The Nomads went close again.

          Next on 55 minutes a Bangor substitution as Rob Jones limped off to be replaced by Joe Culshaw. Minutes later Paul Mooney was forced to concede the first corner of the second half crossed by Sion Edwards but Nomads stood firm.

          The visitors broke but City countered and Les Davies hit the crossbar and the ball was hacked clear.

          Then when it looked like City might be denied Ryan Edwards crossed and Jamie Petrie netted against his former club with a close range header on 63 mins.

          Connahs Quay responded by replacing former Rhyl defender Paul Mooney with former blue Mark Smyth. Then on 71 minutes Les Davies beat a couple of Nomads defenders and found left winger Sion Edwards who again rasped the ball past goalkeeper McCormick for a 4-1 lead.

          But the visitors were far from beaten and Anthony Miley was forced to concede a corner. A short delay as Chris Rowntree came on for Danny Forde. Rightback Dec Walker then broke into the box from his own half but slid his shot just wide. City were still on the attack but fell foul of the linesman to the frustration of the home fans.

          Connahs Quay pressed for a response and Mike Hayes rounded Lee Idzi but Dec Walker cleared off the line with a little over ten minutes left on the clock. Another change as John Littlemore came on for Chris Jones who earned a noisy applause from the stand side.

          Lee Idzi punched well when under pressure but moments later young Ryan Edwards latched onto a loose clearance but he lifted his shot over the bar. Michael Johnston timed his challenge to perfection as The Nomads pressed

          With some five minutes left Bangor managed a period of possession which tempted a foul on the edge of the D directly in front of goal. Dec Walker fired fiercely but the ball flew over the bar and beyond.

          Next Les Davies flicked on for Sion Edwards but this time the flying winger shot narrowly wide with three minutes left. City won a late corner and Ryan Edwards shot squirmed out of McCormick's grasp but the ball was cleared. Bangor sent on young Corey Jones for Man of The Match Sion Edwards.

          Then in added time Connahs Quay won a corner but Anthony Miley headed clear and Chris Roberts led a charge upfield but it was Mark Petch who had the final say and club President Gwyn Pierce Owen led the applause for 4-1 winners Bangor who go up to fourth in the Welsh Premier Table.

          We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

          I accept cookies from this site.

          EU Cookie Directive Module Information