Matchreport: Round 13 - Saturday, 09 November 2013 - 14:30
Bangor City vs Carmarthen Town
0 1

More Information

Match Date: Saturday, 09 November 2013
Match Time: 14:30
Attendances : 504

Starting line up



          Time Event
          67 Came in  Chris Jones (Midfielder)
            Went out  Jamie McDaid
          63 Goal Carmarthen (Liam Thomas)
          Yellow card Michael Johnston
          Yellow card Anthony Miley


          Bangor were effectively mauled and mugged by a brawny Carmarthen side whose game plan worked to perfection.

          This involved a good deal of man handling - nothing nasty to be fair - and meant that a malleable official was a must. Sadly that is just what the game had.

          The key figure in the away win was Cortez Belle whose persisent fouling, again none of it aggresive, was left unpunished until the hour mark by which time the lumbering centrehalf has notched up probably more than a dozen pushes and pulls. His side kick Carl Evans was possibly bigger and more muscular than Belle.

          Attacking the Antelope End (I wish someone would name these ends!) Bangor started on the front foot and after a little early hesitancy a seventh minute foul on Les Davies - the first of very many - led to a freekick on the left which Dec Walker struck firmly but the eccentric Steven Cann bagged in front of his face.

          Twelve minutes in a crisp tackle from leftback Joe Culshaw led to a first corner for Carmarthen which Lee Idzi pouched high overhead. Moments later the visitors pressed again and forced a couple more corners which ended with Cortez Belle heading over from the left.

          On twenty minutes yet another foul on Les Davies by Belle resulted in a freekick which in turn yielded a corner but Dec Walker ballooned his shot well over. By now Belle had been guilty of a series of low level fouls which were noted by the young official but no more.

          Former blues defender Kris Thomas, enjoying an outing in midfield, ran into the Bangor box and it took a well timed tackle from Dec Walker to halt his progress. On the half hour Sion Edwards shot from twenty five yards but Cann saved well low down and Evans cleared the danger. With Ryan Edwards and Rob Jones impressing in midfield City had the upper hand. The burly Fowler in particular looked well off the pace in the 3-5-2 system.

          Chris Jones just failed to get on the end of a low cross from the left but moments later a fourth Carmarthen corner came and went to no alarm. Ten minutes before the interval a second Bangor corner but Sion Edwards sliced his shot well wide. Then a yellow card for the plodding Fowler for a trip on Sion Edwards. A freekick which the left winger struck on goal but Cann punched away.

          One minute of added time passed without incident. Goalless then at the interval but with City having more of the play and Rob Jones in particular enjoying a fine afternoon, along with Michael Johnston and Anthony Miley amongst others.

          HALF TIME 0-0 - No changes at the interval.

          The first chance of the second period came to Les Davies from Rob Jones inviting cross but his header span narrowly wide.

          Five minutes after the restart yet another Belle foul on Les Davies. Freekick from the right which The Truck headed back across goal but no one responded. City pressed and the ball ran to Sion Edwards just inside the visitors box but his low shot crashed against the upright with Cann beaten despite a full length dive.

          Ten minutes into the second period Liam Thomas replaced a very subdued Jordan Follows.
          On the hour a long overdue yellow card by the referee for Cortez Belle for perhaps a dozen fouls. Moments later a third corner for Bangor from the right delivered deep to the back post and headed inches over by Anthony Miley who couldnt believe he had missed. Carmarthen countered and Paul Fowler shot over from just outside the box.

          But on 63 minutes the sucker punch. Carmarthen broke through sub Liam Thomas who raced past the Bangor defence to slot the ball wide of Lee Idzi and into the corner of the net.

          Three minutes later a double change as Liam McCreesh came on for Matty Collins and Jamie McDaid replaced Chris Jones. City promptly won a fourth corner which was cleared.

          The niggly McCreesh may have lost a yard of pace but he can still foul and Mr Harrington had his name in the book seven minutes after coming on for a trip on Sion Edwards. Carmarthen worked their way forwards and Belle saw his low shot saved by Lee Idzi.

          With ten minutes left Bangor pressed Carmarthen back, almost onto the flower beds, and following a couple more corners the impressive Rob Jones fired on target but Cann saved. The South African stopper now revealed a liking for time wasting which enraged and home fans and eventually took the attention of the referee. But the next action was a cross from Michael Johnston out on the right which Sion Edwards headed wide.

          A late change for Carmarthen saw Corey Thomas come on for Kyle Bassett and renewed hope for City as the fourth official who hadn't enjoyed the best of times with the electronic board signalled five minutes of added time. During which goalkeeper Cann was shown the yellow card for timewasting (job done though) and later lay prone with a supposed back injury. For which in fairness the official added another minute or so but Belle and Evans stood firm like a couple of Barry Island bouncers, and that was that.

          We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

          I accept cookies from this site.

          EU Cookie Directive Module Information