Welcome to our Club
How to find us
Season Tickets
First team squad
Reports 2009 / 10

Reports 2009 / 10 pt 2

City 3 - 1 Aberaman
City 3 -1 Rhyl
Ground regulations
Supporters' Assoc.
Club Shop
200 Club draw
News archive 2009
Photo gallery
Sponsorship and Advertising
Contact us



Bangor dominated this game for long spells yet were not certain of their Quarter Final spot until Jamie Reed won and converted a penalty in stoppage time.

Manager Nev Powell gave a debut to right winger Eddie Jebb following the departure of Chris Sharp who watched from the touchline.  Defending the St Pauls End with a glaring low sun to contend with Bangor looked uncomfortable at the back at times. 

Referee Harms yellow carded Marc Limbert inside two minutes but the opening quarter belonged to Bangor with early chances not being taken.  Peter Hoy crossed from the right but Ashley Stott saw the ball bounce off him and into the hands of keeper Gareth Williams.  Jamie Reed went close with a shot on the turn and a second deep cross from rightback Hoy found Ashley Stott but he headed wide.  City continued to press but could not force the ball home.

On 18 minutes they got an object lesson in taking chances.  A throw in from the right fell to John Phillips who swept the ball beyond Paul Smith to hand the visitors a shock lead.  Moments later they might have doubled their lead as Palmer won the ball with a heavy challenge on Peter Hoy and crossed for Jon Kift but his weak shot lacked venom.

Hoy was not to recover and on 23 minutes Craig Garside came on, with Dave Morley slotting in a rightback. The substitutes first touch was a low shot from the right which Williams held comfortably.

Bangor were shocked but continued to press through the impressive Reed whose overhead kick ended up on the roof of the net. On the half hour Dave Morley released Reed on the right but his shot flashed wide. A third corner of the afternoon for City saw Garside lift the ball high into the Farrar End.

On 33 minutes Bangor drew level.  Jamie Reed controlled a cross in from Eddie Jebb and fired past Williams from 15 yards to the relief of the Farrar End. A minute later Kift was yellow carded for a foul on Reed who was at the heart of all Citys attacking moves.  The freekick saw Reeds curler trouble Williams who was also in the thick of the action.

A fourth blues corner fell to Eddie Jebb but his left footer was saved by Williams who was busy again seconds later to deny Ashley Stott.  In the four minutes of stoppage time played there was no further incident or change to the scoreline, all square at one all.

The opening stages again belonged to Bangor with that low sun now to their advantage. Marc Limbert went close with a left footer, then Jamie Brewerton headed wide at the back post from a left wing cross.

Five minutes after the restart City had the lead. Dave Morley played the ball upfield to Ashley Stott whose layoff was guided forward by Reed into the path of Craig Garside who stepped around Williams to slide home from the right. Chances came and Eddie Jebb blazed over from the right, then better still from Jamie Reed who pounced on a defensive howler but saw his shot cleared off the line by Jacobson.

Ashley Stott headed over whilst back peddling before an excellent passing move involving Chris Roberts and Sion Edwards on the left carved an opening for Stott but his first time effort clipped the crossbar. Moments later Edwards hit the post and then Ashley Stott saw his twenty yarder turned away following a stoppage as Paul Smith received treatment for an injury.

With ten minutes remaining Matthew Hurdman came on for  Sion Edwards but it was business as usual as Stott crossed from the right but Reeds effort was charged down.  An eighth Bangor corner brought no reward and in the closing minutes John Owen replaced Ashley Stott who had worked hard with little luck or reward.

Referee Harms used injury time to show yellow cards to Jamie Brewerton and then Samir Misbah for a foul on a goalbound Jamie Reed as he ran into the box from the left. Penalty or freekick?  City fans shook their heads but did not complain as Jamie Reed placed the ball on the penalty spot and beat Williams confidently for the final 3-1 scoreline.

After five or six minutes of added time it was all over and City had booked their place in the Quarter Finals, and as it would turn out, a home draw against Llanelli.  Credit to Aberaman who played their part in an entertaining game and in particular to goalkeeper Gareth Williams who never lost heart.


© 2010 Bangor City F.C.