Club information
First team
Match reports
Supporters' Assoc.
Club shop
Contact us



ANGLESEY ISLAND GAMES XI 1 - 5 CITY: Bangor won their opening warm up match 5-1 at Gaerwen.

Left winger Sion Edwards opened the scoring with a well struck half volley from outside the box, and then added a second with another shot which goalkeeper Ben Heald fumbled. Nicky Ward made it 3-0 with a header before half time.

After the interval Craig Garside added a fourth before Les Davies fired home a volley to complete the scoring. But not quite as seventeen year old Bodedern prospect Dion Donoghue pulled one back for Anglesey near the end.

The Bangor squad was largely that which won the league last season other than for Mike Burke who spent last season with Rhos Aelwyd where he netted some thirty goals. Plus Bully's brother! And of course Mike Walsh.

And so it begins, from Gaerwen to Helsinki!

Thanks to Mike Smith and 'The Roving Reporter' for this report

BUCKLEY TOWN V BANGOR CITY - Saturday 2 July: The home side started the better and forged some early chances which by and large flashed wide of Lee Idzi's goal. On a hot, sunny afternoon City gradually warmed to the task with a trademark Peter Hoy long throw headed home just after the half hour.

Moments later Hoy headed just wide but five minutes after going ahead Bangor doubled their lead as Les Davies fired low right footed from the right flank to beat Simon Hulse.

That was score at half time and three minutes after the restart two subs combined as Eddie Jebb crossed from the right for Sion Edwards to head home.  On the hour though Buckley won as pen but former Cefn Druids striker Anthony Williams saw his spot kick saved by Lee Idzi.

With fifteen minutes left on the clock Sion Edwards beat his man to cross low from the left and invite debutant Kyle Wilson to score on debut to complete the scoring at 4-0.

So a welcome win but more importantly a good run out for the eighteen or so players on duty, a clean sheet and penalty save from debutant 'keeper Idzi and a goal from Kyle Wilson. No injuries to report to on we go to Denbigh on Tuesday night...

Cmon City!

DENBIGH TOWN V BANGOR CITY - Tuesday 5 July. Bangor continued their European preparations with a 3-0 win at Central Park against Welsh Alliance side Denbigh Town.

The first half - similar to Buckley three days earlier - saw the home side create some chances and Paul Smith had to be alert to tip over a Stuart Vernon cross. But City settled and might have taken the lead when a Miles Todd challenge resulted in a penalty which Dave Morley saw saved.

After a goalless first half City went ahead in the second - against the luckless Jamie Hulse who was inbetween the sticks for Buckley - when Les Davies capitalised on some over confidence in the goalkeeper to tap home.

The goal of the game came as Les Davies doubled his tally as Eddie Jebb and Mark Smyth combined to set up a well taken header.   A third and final strike from Craig Garside settled the scoring as the game disintegrated slightly under a wave of rolling substitutions befittiing a practice match.

Overall a welcome work out and in the beautiful Vale of Clwyd and good luck to Denbigh Town for the new season.

RHYL V BANGOR CITY - Saturday 9 July 14.30. Bangor continued the promising pre season form with a 2-0 win at old rivals Rhyl

A crowd of some 300 filed into Belle Vue as a rebuilt Rhyl side faced Bangor's likely Champions League line up.

The visitors took the lead midway through the first half as Mark Smyth tapped home, but had to wait for the second period for newcomer Kyle Wilson to convert a penalty conceded by debutant centre half Stefan Halewood to settle the scoring.   

As the second half pressed on both sides made a number of substitutions which inevitably affected the shape of the game, but both managers would have reason to feel pleased with their afternoon.   

For Nev Powell ninety minutes on the Belle Vue surface, four days ahead of the all important clash with Finnish champions HJK Helsinki.    Cmon City!

BANGOR CITY 2 - 2 WEST KIRBY, SATURDAY 30 JULY, KO 14.30 - It was honours even at today's friendly. A good workout with Sion Edwards and Chris Jones on the mark for City.

BANGOR CITY 2 - 1 GWALCHMAI, TUESDAY 2 AUGUST, KO 19.30 - City overcame  a battling Gwalchmai side in an entertaining pre season run out at Farrar Road last night (Tuesday, August 2).

Neil Thomas and Mark Smyth were on target for Nev Powell's men, who will face a Manchester United Select 11 on August 10.

CHESTER 2 - 2 BANGOR CITY, SATURDAY 6 AUGUST 15.00 - Alan Bull was back amongst the goals with a double as we shared the spoils with our hosts in this entertaining friendly.

CITY 1 - 3 MANCHESTER UNITED SELECT XI: Mike Smith reports  - A youthful Manchester United proved too fast and elusive for determined Bangor.

And it was a well taken brace from youth cup winner John Cofie which proved the difference between the two sides.  

The tall youngster put United ahead on nine minutes with a fierce drive from outside the box - to cap off some impressive ball control - and send the ball smashing into the roof of the net and stanction at the Farrar End. 

This came after City had forced a series of corners but failed to get the better of Sam Johnston and his young defence. 

Peter Hoy went close for Bangor whilst Italian midfielder Davide Petrucci was denied by Paul Smith.   Five minutes before half time Alan Bull capitalised on a defensive mix up to score from eight yards but within a minute John Cofie slotted home from the left to restore the lead.

Substitute Sion Edwards and former Cardiff loanee Danny Drinkwater exchanged efforts before the final goal of the evening on 70 mins saw Ravel Morrison waltz through the blues defence before firing home from the right.  

On a rainy night though both sides did well to serve up an enteraining match calmly refereed by local official Huw Jones (?) whose calm authority would put his younger WP counterparts to shame.


© 2010 Bangor City F.C.