U19's Match Reports

It was a disappointing afternoon for our U19's as they lost 6-1 to The New Saints at The Book People Stadium. The good news for City fans was the long awaited return of Jamie Petrie to action as he took his place in the starting eleven.

Phil Warrington was lively in the opening minutes but wasted the first City chance on 4 minutes when his shot from 6 yards was miscued. On 13 minutes Ieuan Lloyd was fouled on the right wing and from the resulting free-kick by Joe Culshaw City earned a corner but City couldn't capitalise on it and the score remained 0-0. On 18 minutes Rhys Cooper was released on the left hand side but his shot across the face of goal went inches wide.

Just a minute later The New Saints should have taken the lead as confusion in the City defence allowed a free shot on goal but the ball went wide of Gethin Roberts left hand post. Roberts was again in action minutes later as TNS again threatened to score but the 'keeper stood his ground to confidently punch the ball clear. On the half hour mark City won a free kick 30 yards from goal in the centre of the pitch. Joe Culshaw took the kick only to see it agonisingly hit the left hand post of the visiting 'keeper before bouncing harmlessly straight into his hands. City appealed for a penalty on 35 minutes for what appeared to be a blatant hand ball bu the referee waved played on to the astonishment of the City team.

As half time approached it looked as if the half would remain goalless, but a quick break from TNS down the centre of the pitch saw their player with only Roberts to beat and the ball easily found the back of the net.

City started the second half confidently, and in the 46th minute Rhys Cooper smashed the ball against the crossbar. Within 2 minutes, TNS had doubled their lead and worse was to come on 55 minutes as a TNS player was allowed to walk through the defence befor slotting the ball into the net. On 57 minutes Phil Warrington pulled a goal back for the hosts but if that had built hopes of a revival they were short lived as Cai Holdsworth gave away a free kick 25 yards from goal. With a 4 man wall in the way 'keeper Roberts didn't see the shot unleashed and didn't moved as the ball went into the left hand side of his goal to make it 4-1.

On 63 minutes Jamie Petrie made way for Shaun Cavanagh, but just 3 minutes later City were 5-1 down as a shot from the centre of the pitch flew into the net. On 67 minutes City made a good break down the left hand side but Cavanagh pulled his cross behind the strikers waiting on the 6 yard line. The next break from TNS saw them score their sixth and final goal. Roberts came to the edge of his box as TNS attacked where the attacking player took the ball around him before slotting the ball in from a tight angle to complete the scoring.

Bangor City:

Gethin Roberts, Ieuan Lloyd, Caio Hywel, Adam Pritchard, Dylan Thomas, Joe Culshaw, Corey Jones, Phil Warrington, Liam Walker, Jamie Petrie, Rhys Cooper.

Subs: Cai Holdsworth for Dylan Thomas (49), Shaun Cavanagh for Jamie Petrie (63)

Attendance: 95